Fly Fishing Clinic with Cliff Watts
Week of June 23rd – 30th, 2013
(Regular weekly rates apply and all ranch activities available)
Cliff will be again offering his fly fishing clinic in 2013. Whether you are new to fly fishing or just needing some tips, this clinic is designed to teach the fundamentals of fly fishing while providing practical experience. It is geared for those who want a thorough introduction to the sport. Topics to be covered include: fly casting techniques; gear; knot tying; trout behavior; water entomology and flies; river anatomy; fishing strategies, catch and release and trout fishing techniques.
Skilled Fishers Welcomed: Cliff will be available to guide and advise.
- Half Day Classes with the other half of the day for fishing or other ranch activities
- Classes limited to 6 people
- 5 half days of instruction
- 5 half days of fishing at Focus Ranch in the Little Snake River
- (1 full day trip to nearby waters if that fits)
Half Day Class Schedule:
- Day1 – Fly Casting Techniques
- Day2 – More on Casting, Gear, and Knots
- Day3 – Trout Behavior, Water Entomology and Flys
- Day4 – River Anatomy and Fishing Strategies
- Day5 – Trout Fishing Techniques
The flow of the scheduled programs will depend somewhat on participant’s knowledge and skill level —- as well as the local hatches, best fishing time of the day and everyone’s self-control. Practicing can only be done so much, and then you just have to go fishing. It’s a great excuse to drop out of any class!
Where and when we fish will be weather and water dependent.
Participants will be emailed a list of equipment that they need to bring to the ranch including rod, reel, waders, flies and other gear.
Cliff Watts began fly fishing as a teenager in north Georgia and now in his 60’s, continues with the sport in Colorado and Wyoming. Trips to Russia, Argentina, Brazil and Bolivia have added to his resume along with his yearly outings to British Columbia. He has been coming to Focus Ranch for over 35 years and in that time, we have watched him successfully teach kids and adults the sport of fly fishing.